Sunday is our grocery shopping day in this house. Yesterday, the store was packed with people stocking up for Super Bowl Sunday and I barely made it down the aisles without crashing into about a million people. One thing I noticed was a sale on quinoa that was ending asap... $3.99 a box when it's normally $6.39? Sold. I love quinoa for it's high protein and fiber content, all while being gluten-free. I remembered how I had made a similar recipe earlier in the year and with a few tweaks, it was perfect.
|All dressed up and ready to go|
Three Cheese Quinoa Cakes
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1/2 cup 2% shredded cheddar
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3-1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 tbsp potato starch
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cheeses, green onions, potato starch, red pepper flakes & salt/pepper, stir to combine.
3. Add quinoa to egg mixture, stir to combine.
4. Add 1 tbsp of oil to a large saucepan, heat to medium high. Pack a 1/3 measuring cup with batter, flip batter into pan.
5. Cook ~4-5 minutes per side until golden brown, serve with greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream.
|Too hungry to take a non-blurry picture!|
What's your favorite quinoa recipe?