And now... the post.
This recipe is incredible and now let me explain to you how you know you need it in your life. If you've never had truffle oil, it's incredible. You can find it at your grocery store but I prefer to purchase it at Home Goods where you can find higher quality brands for less. If you don't like truffle oil, feel free to leave it out. Have you ever seen Breakfast at Tiffany's? If so, then you would know that Holly Golightly refers to horrible, awful, terrible days as having a case of the mean reds.
In other words, this is how you know you need to make this pasta.
Step One: Have a bad day - wake up with a stuffy nose and a sore throat at 5 am (that's right, one hour before your alarm goes off), have trouble falling asleep again so sleep for about 15 more minutes, wake up get ready for work, then look in the mirror and find a gray hair, pull it out to find that it is, indeed, gray and at least 3 inches long.
Step Two: Drink too much coffee, eat lunch in a flash, feel overwhelmed and stressed at work, realize that tomorrow will be even more stressful at work since you'll be alone.
Step Three: Go for a 2.5 mile walk with one of your friends, feel a little less stressed. Go to Target, buy Gone Girl (finally! I couldn't handle the wait and only going from 1,000th to 300th on the library list after waiting for 2 months), come home, wail to your boyfriend about your horrible day.
Step Four: Make this macaroni and cheese using a new-to-me gluten-free pasta that I ordered from Amazon, place it in the oven to bake.
Step Five: Follow your boyfriend's suggestion and take a bubble bath. Read the first two chapters of Gone Girl. Put on pajamas.
Step Six: Enjoy this decadent mac & cheese (with veggies on the side of course)
Truffle Macaroni & Cheese
8 oz package gluten-free pasta
3 tbsp light vegetable oil based margarine
1/4 c brown rice flour
2 c skim milk
2 C mixed cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp mustard powder
Black pepper & salt (to taste)
3 tbsp truffle oil
1-2 tsp parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Bring water to a boil, add pasta, cook until al dente.
2. Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium low heat, then sprinkle the brown rice flour on top. Fold margarine and flour together with a spatula, continue to cook 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour skim milk into saucepan. Continue to stir, occasionally scraping the bottom with your spatula. Turn heat up to medium, mixture should begin to thicken and should begin to start to bubble. Keep scraping the bottom of the saucepan until mixture is thickened.
4. Turn the heat down to low, add the mustard powder, black pepper and salt. Add in cheddar, stir until melted. Add truffle oil, stir until combined.
5. Drain pasta, pour into a ceramic baking dish such as Corningware or Le Creuset. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.