I've had the past week off of work and it's been so refreshing to just relax, reset and get ready to go back. Unfortunately, I feel like the past week has flown by and I've gotten used to sleeping in until 8:00 am....which doesn't seem so late unless you get up at 6:00 am everyday :) I do miss the people that I work with and having my set routine. I won't be using any more paid time off days until the holiday season, but I've had plenty in the past month!
Everything I've made this summer has had basil, tomatoes and mozzarella in it.... sigh I had better get it together before I become a one trick pony. Seriously though, can you ever go wrong with basil, tomatoes and mozzarella? I found a recipe for caprese lasagna, but has any one else noticed that gluten-free rice lasagna noodles cost a pretty penny? As in almost $5 per box. Thanks, but no thanks. I decided to layer pasta in this dish to create a similar concept that was much cheaper :) Enjoy!
1- 8oz box quinoa pasta
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp brown rice flour
2 C fat-free milk
2 bunches basil, chopped
2 tomatoes, finely sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2 slices brown rice bread
1. Pre-heat oven to 375. Follow box instructions for boiling pasta, drain and set aside.
2. In a medium size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and simmer about 2 minutes.
3. Fold brown rice flour into garlic butter mixture, about one minute.
4. Add milk to flour mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, this is called making a roux, be patient and continue stirring. I find it helpful to use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan. You may need to increase the heat on your stove slightly. Once the mixture has thickened, reduce heat to low.
5. Spray a medium size baking dish with cooking spray, add 1/3 cup of the white sauce and spread across the bottom of the dish. Next, add 1/2 of the pasta, basil, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Add 1/2 of the white sauce to the top and repeat the layers until all ingredients are used. Alternatively, you can add the pasta to the sauce mixture and stir in the ingredients if you are too lazy to layer :)
6. Finally, add brown rice bread to a small food processor to create bread crumbs. Layer crumbs on top of the pasta dish.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
What pasta bakes are you currently loving?