Finding gluten-free cupcakes can be a challenge. You could pick up Betty Crocker's boxed mix - which surprisingly has pretty clean ingredients compared to their gluten version. A better option is to get a little daring in the kitchen and make your own. Honestly, with all the baking I do, you would think cupcakes would be an easy trick up my sleeve. Umm 100% no. The first time I made cupcakes from scratch was for a friend's birthday party a few weeks ago. I needed something to bring to my friend Nancy's Super Bowl party... decisions decisions.
I remembered seeing an awesome looking cupcake recipe at How Sweet It Is - I already knew it was amazing because all of Jessica's recipes are incredible. Could I change some things to make it more my style and gluten free? Would it even taste okay with gluten-free flour? I could only hope, I made some tweaks, put it in the oven
|Be mine :)|
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, adapted from How Sweet It Is
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1.5 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2-1 cup chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together sugar and butter in a stand mixer until smooth - add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk, add to batter slowly.
3. Add milk, combine. Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be very sticky. Pour 2/3 way into cupcake tins lined with paper - about 15.
4. Bake for ~25 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Cookie Dough Icing, adapted from Kevin & Amanda
1 stick butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons soy milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/8 tsp salt
1. Combine together butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer, cream together until smooth.
2. Add powder sugar, until combined
3. Add soy milk, vanilla, chocolate chips and salt. Stir until combined.
4. This icing will be slightly runny, but will firm upon standing.
|Can I swim in this icing? Please?|
What's your favorite "Keep Calm" saying? Aside from the original, of course :)